Thursday, February 19, 2009

Back From The Dead

Long time no blog! Things have been a bit busy to say the least. I've gotten in some solid training in the past few of weeks...lots of solid INDOOR training I might add. My bike trainer and I have been very friendly, and my feelings towards the treadmill are actually softening a bit! I'm back to early morning swims with the "grumpy old men" group at Steiner---they are so much fun! Work has been really busy too which is not surprising for this time of year. We always get a large influx of "New Years Resolutes" in January, plus this year with Bally's closing we had a lot of people switch over to our gym. So my schedule has filled out nicely---with little effort on my part which is always nice!

Coaching is keeping me on my toes as well. I do Tues/Thurs am in addition to Wed pm workouts now. Add that to a Monday night pilates class and Tuesday night pottery...and you get a very busy me! This weekend is the first Triathlon Clinic hosted by Utah Masters Swimming. I'm not officially in charge, but since I have experience with putting on this sort of thing I've really been responsible for quite a bit. The focus this time around is open water swimming skills. We've got a GREAT group of volunteers involved and hopefully we'll get a good turnout...I'll post an update after the fact. If anyone reading this is interested, check out the flyer above.

I've also been busy on the weekends with some local "tune-up" events. Albert and I are signed up for the Salt Lake Track Club Winter Series and we did the 5K a few weeks ago (still both recovering from illness so we jogged through it together), but we flaked out on the 10K this past Saturday. We woke up to snow and wimped out, justifying it with the fact that we had a lot of other things we had to do that day and driving in the snow would take too long. Apparently we weren't the only ones who thought this! However, the next day I did get my act together and swim in the QUAC swim meet at the U of U pool...a 50 back, 100 IM and 50 fly. Ugh! Everything except the 50 fly was terrible. There just isn't time to get up to speed in those short events! But it was a fun event and good to get out and show support for the Quackers.

What is coming up next? More solid training, then a 15K next weekend followed by more training before the Moab 1/2 marathon towards the end of March. That should be a fun little trip...I may even bring the mountain bike along!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey Malaika! Great to hear from you. Of course you can stay with Latte and me. We'd love to have you. Thanks for the tip on TP therapy. Happy Training!