This past weekend I drove over to Vernal for the sixth running of the Dinoland Triathlon. It's a small local Utah race---that's part of it's charm---but it SHOULD be a much bigger race. And here are the Top Ten Reasons why:
10. A great host hotel in a prime location.
9. Free Subway meal!
8. Friendly volunteers who are THRILLED to be out on the course.
7. The fun, challenging race course with distinctive pterodactyl signage.
6. A passionate race director who announces every single athlete across the line.
5. Ice-cream and a party atmosphere at the finish line.
4. Location location location! Vernal is growing, and it's a stone's throw away from real live (okay, used-to-be-live) Dinosaur tracks, Steinaker State Park, Red Fleet State Park, and Flaming Gorge. It's a great place to play.
3. Finishing the race with a lap on the track is a very cool thing.
2. Cash and rocks for prizes---who could ask for more?!
And the Number One reason to do the Dino Tri is....
1. The race director will give you a FREE pre-race haircut. Who DOESN'T want a mowhawk?
See you there next year!
Special thanks to: Mark Mason for the hospitality and for organizing another great event; Tyler Cloward at Fezzari Bicycles; Matt Howard and the crew at The Bike Shoppe for getting my bike in tip-top shape; and my sponsors REV3, Pearl Izumi, Powerbar, Recovery Pump, Blueseventy, Rudy Project, and Maxxis for the continued support.